Private Day Trip to Monemvasia
Tour around the Castle
The Castle of Monemvasia has a unique, magical atmosphere and a fascinating history. Monuments and churches are scattered throughout the old town. An important archaeological collection is housed in the old mosque in the Square of Elkomenos Christos.Your visit to Monemvasia will be a unique experience to travel back in time, in a castle-town with 15 centuries-old history, that is still inhabited. The so-called ‘Gibraltar of the East’, a small rocky island linked to the mainland through a short causeway, is full of myths and tales and has inspired great artists. Upon entering the gate of the Lower town, you will find yourselves in what looks like a magnificent scenery. Walking around the cobbled streets you will get acquainted to the history of this city that was founded by the Byzantine emperor, and all its consequent rulers: The Pope, the Franks, the Venetians and the Ottomans. You will learn everything about its significant port that made Monemvasia one of the richest and most cosmopolitan towns of the Mediterranean and the wine produced there, that made it famous all over Europe. You will not miss the chance to visit some of the castle’s 46 churches. After your walk around the Lower town, you can make your way up to the archaeological site of the Upper town on top of the rock. There, you will have the opportunity to stroll in between the ruined houses on your way to Haghia Sophia, an 11th century church perched on the edge of the cliff and enjoy the panoramic views towards the mainland and the magnificent blue of the Aegean Sea.
Join us and feel like the princess or the knight of your childhood fairy tales.
• Smoking is not permitted while on board
• Subject to favorable weather conditions. If canceled due to poor weather, you will be given the option of an alternative date or full refund
• The language of the tour is Greek and English. Other languages can be provided at an extra charge
• Time and place of departure: After coordination
• Expect mostly warm weather in Greece during the tour
• Comfortable walking shoes, sun-glasses, a hat and loose fitted clothing are strongly recommended
Per Group: 330€
Group: 1 – 8 persons
Book Now -coming soon-